"One of the most powerful experiences was when we presented our theater production, Moccasins and Microphones at the Lensic Performing Arts Center on April 3rd, 2011. The show is based on the poetry of our new CD, which documents the best work of the eight years of the Spoken Word Program. This year, I wove those poems into a liberated storyline and we added song and dance and staging to celebrate our CD by presenting it through theater. We presented to an audience of 700 people…After we delivered our 90-minute show the audience responded with this outpouring of love and applause for many minutes. It was just pure joy and very beautiful. The young SFIS poets had experiences that evening that are worth months or even years of learning. They broke into new territories that they can now explore."
—Tim McLaughlin, SFIS Spoken Word Founder
Major Spoken Word Performances include the following:
- 2007 and 2008 Native Roots and Rhythms Concert, Paolo Soleri Amphitheater
- 2008 Special Poetry Performance, National Museum of the America Indian, Washington, DC?
- 2008 and 2009 Indian Market Poetry Performance, Downtown Plaza Stage, Santa Fe, NM?
- 2009 Moccasins and Microphones, 826 Valencia, San Francisco, CA?
- 2009 New Mexico History Museum Grand Opening, Downtown Plaza Stage, Santa Fe, NM?
- 2009 Brave New Voices Grand Slam Finals, Chicago Theater, Chicago, IL
- 2009 Moccasins and Microphones, Newberry Library, Chicago, IL?
- 2009 Santa Fe 400th Anniversary Opening Ceremonies, Fort Marcy Park, Santa Fe, NM?
- 2009 Moccasins and Microphones, KUMU Estonian National Art Museum, Tallinn, Estonia?
- 2009 Moccasins and Microphones, Latvian Museum of Contemporary Art, Riga, Latvia?
- 2009 Moccasins and Microphones, Teachers’ House?Vilnius, Lithuania?
- 2010 PASS Poetry Performance for SFPS students, Lensic Performing Arts Center?
- 2010 Moccasins and Microphones CD Release, Santa Fe Opera?
- 2011 Moccasins and Microphones, Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, Albuquerque, NM